Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Maine’s yellow flag law invoked more than a dozen times after deadly shootings -TradeFocus
Rekubit-Maine’s yellow flag law invoked more than a dozen times after deadly shootings
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:31:57
LEWISTON,Rekubit Maine (AP) — A Maine law used to restrict access to guns during a mental health crisis has been invoked more than a dozen times since the killings of 18 people last month, and several people whose guns were temporarily removed referenced the name of the gunman responsible for the mass shooting.
An updated list from the state shows weapons restriction orders were imposed at least 13 times under the yellow flag law since the Oct. 25 mass shootings in Lewiston, the deadliest in state history. That brings the total to 94 times since the law went into effect in July 2020.
Four people either mentioned Lewiston gunman Robert Card’s name or said they would become the “next mass shooter,” according to the state’s list, which includes a brief synopsis of the circumstances in each case. On Friday, the law was invoked five times that day, according to the list.
The updated figures were released Monday during a law enforcement training that focused on the yellow flag law, Shannon Moss, state police spokesperson, said Tuesday. Several hundred officers participated in the training.
Eighteen people were killed and another 13 wounded when Card, an Army reservist, opened fire at a bowling alley and a bar.
Tens of thousands of residents were ordered to shelter at home as hundreds of law officers participated in a manhunt that ended with the discovery of Card’s body two days later in nearby Lisbon. An autopsy concluded he died by suicide.
Under Maine’s yellow flag law, a warning to police can trigger a process where an officer visits an individual and makes a judgment call on whether that person should be placed in temporary protective custody, triggering assessments that with a judge’s approval can lead to a 14-day weapons restriction. A full court hearing could lead to an extension of restrictions for up to a year.
Police had received warnings about Card. Some family members and fellow reservists were concerned about his mental health and access to weapons. One reservist wrote in a text: “I believe he’s going to snap and do a mass shooting.”
Deputies visited Card’s home in Bowdoin twice about a month before the mass shootings, but he didn’t come to the door. The sheriff said law enforcement didn’t have the legal authority to knock down the door.
It’s unclear what happened after that, though the sheriff’s office canceled its statewide alert seeking help locating Card a week before the deadly rampage.
veryGood! (82919)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Rachel Bilson Shares She’s Had Multiple Pregnancy Losses
- GM earned more than $3 billion in profit, even after hit from UAW strike
- Senate votes 98-0 to confirm Biden’s nominee to run the Federal Aviation Administration
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Homebuying has become so expensive that couples are asking for help in their wedding registry
- Bitcoin prices have doubled this year and potentially new ways to invest may drive prices higher
- Kylie Jenner Makes Cheeky Reference to Timothée Chalamet Amid Budding Romance
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom's Cutest Pics Will Have You Feeling Like a Firework
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Houston’s Hobby airport resumes flights after two planes clip wings on an airport runway
- Ohio State's Ryan Day: Helmet technology should be considered to limit sign-stealing
- Top Missouri lawmaker repays travel reimbursements wrongly taken from state
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Bulgaria is launching the construction of 2 US-designed nuclear reactors
- Frances Bean, daughter of Kurt Cobain, marries Riley Hawk, son of Tony Hawk
- Actor Cedric Beastie Jones Dead at 46
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
ESPN's Pat McAfee pays Aaron Rodgers; he's an accomplice to Rodgers' anti-vax poison
Live updates | Israel’s bombardment in Gaza surges, reducing buildings to rubble
British leader Rishi Sunak marks a year in office with little to celebrate
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Diamondbacks stun Phillies 4-2 in Game 7 of NLCS to reach first World Series in 22 years
Tom Emmer withdraws bid for House speaker hours after winning nomination, leaving new cycle of chaos
Actor Cedric Beastie Jones Dead at 46